Can I Ask for Payment to Enter a Competition?
Last updated: July 24, 2022
It depends on your country, and what kind of campaign you are running. We have a comprehensive guide which covers No Purchase Necessary laws around the world, so be sure to read that before you award entries for paid actions in a Competition campaign.
To prevent violation of anti-lottery or No Purchase Necessary laws in your country of operation, we recommend you consult with a lawyer before proceeding.
If you already know what you're doing, here are the instructions for setting up a paid action:
- Create a new Competition
- In the How to enter tab, insert a Custom Action.
- Create a link or button in the action description with payment instructions
- For verification, you can manually verify the purchase by asking for a receipt ID/email address
- Another option for verification is to set up Custom Action Tracking so that payments are verified automatically
- To set up a free entry alternative, check the A purchase or donation is required for users to complete this Action statement.