- What Are Sites?
- Referral Program
- Competition Setup
- Competition Installation
- Competition Tips & Tricks
- Drawing Winners
- Rewards Overview
- Rewards Setup
- Coupon Setup
- Refer a Friend Rewards
- Page or Blog Post
- Facebook Tab Installation
- URL (i.e. /competition)
- Tab Overlay
- Shopify Installation
- Benchmark Email
- Campaign Monitor
- Constant Contact
- Google Analytics
- Mad Mimi
- App Download
- Media Submit
- Secret Code
- Viral Share
Keep up to Date With Gleam Features From 2016
Drawing + Repicking Winner Improvements
We've pushed a number of changes to improve the experience when drawing a winner:
- Repicking is now task based, which means no more possible timeouts on huge campaigns or campaigns with lots of winners. You can also repick multiple at once, without waiting for the page to reload
- Winners now have distinct ordering. This will make it easier to award 1st Prize through to however many Prizes you have
- Repicking will now maintain the correct order of that winner (previously it'd move the repick to the bottom)
Facebook Page Management Improvements
You can now manage your Facebook tabs within the Install tab. Previously you would have to uninstall from within Facebook.
We've added a handy new option to allow you to pay for Gleam using your Shopify account (rather than Credit Card). This also means that if you uninstall the Shopify app it will also cancel recurring payments on your Gleam account.
We've rolled out the BETA of our Zapier integration. This will allow you to sync data from Gleam to any of Zapiers supported providers.
We now support users that use Drip as their email provider of choice. You can tag users from Gleam and send them straight into your Drip automations from any of our apps.
Both of these Integrations are available on Pro and above.
You can now ask users to Login to your campaign via Amazon. Great for businesses that sell on Amazon and want to verify existing customers or for E-commerce businesses who want to ensure a user has an Amazon account.
Referral Program Update
From today we are removing the Free referral tier from this program and increasing the payouts for the Pro & Business tiers.
Pro: $20 / referral
Business: $50 / referral
Cash payout minimum has changed to $100 and all credit can still be used towards normal plans.
Today we released a new feature that you can find on your Setup tab if you're using the Business plan called Event Mode.
This will do a few things to make life easier at your event:
- It will disable our fraud filter so users don't get invalidated or hit with CAPTCHA's
- Refreshing the page will log the current user out
- The page will timeout and refresh after 2 minutes of inactivity
We've rolled out pixel tracking for Pro users and above. We're supporting Adroll, Facebook + Twitter to start.
If you have any suggested providers feel free to let us know!
Improvements to Bar Captures
We've rolled out some new improvements to the Bar Capture type to allow for more flexibility.
- You can now select whether the Bar floats on top or on the bottom of the page
- Bars can now have logos or avatars uploaded (which makes them nice for announcements)
- There's a few new scroll options to allow you to choose how the bar behaves when the user scrolls on the page (Sticky/Static or Scroll)
- You can now auto-close the bar after x sections when displaying a thank-you message or trigger a callback
Set Max Viral Share Limits
Campaign owners can now set the maximum number of referrals a user is allowed to accumulate on a campaign that contains a Viral Share action.
Format Field Bug Fixed
The Format Field in Custom actions has incorrectly been available for all customers outside the Business plan, this has now been corrected.
Steam Link Block
Early today Steam Community started blocking Gleam.io links from appearing on their site. The reason for this is due to some users had been spamming links on various groups and profiles.
We have contacted Valve, but we are unsure if this is something that can be undone.
Updates to TOS
As a result of these Steam issues we have updated our TOS. We will no longer allow users to:
- Giveaway game keys purely for the purpose of farming followers for various groups or other social accounts
Steam Actions will also no longer be available on Free plans.
Unfortunately this has gotten out of hand for a few reasons:
- Some of these groups are actively blackmailing developers for keys
- Users are required to jump through too many hoops for a simple key
- Keys for the same games are getting recycled over and over
- Some of these groups are actively breaking Valve TOS by asking users to vote on Greenlight games
- Groups are giving away stolen keys that end up being deactivated
- These campaigns end up eating up to 25% of our resources but drive less than 0.01% of our revenue
We will now actively start disabling Rewards that are used purely for this purpose. We will only allow developers themselves to giveaway their own keys, or approved marketing partners on a case by case basis.
Facebook Check-in Action
We've launched a brand new action for Business customers which allows you to incentivize Check-ins to a specific location on Facebook.
What can this be used for?
- Give users that check-in via the widget access to your Wi-fi password
- Reward loyal customers with extra entries into a Competition
- Check-in at live events or concerts for additional entries
- Reward users that have attended a previous event or location
Improved Verification For Twitter
If you have your Twitter account connected to Gleam you can do almost any action in a single click, this makes it extremely easy for users to enter campaigns.
We do have plenty of users that don't want to give Gleam access or authenticate our app via Twitter, which is totally fine. We accommodate these users by allowing them to Tweet or Follow via the Twitter Web Intent buttons.
Twitter used to fire a Callback after a Web Intent (Tweet or Follow) had successfully happened. This was great, as we knew that the action had been successfully completed - we just didn't know the details of the actions (@username or Tweet URL).
They recently changed the Callback to fire when any Web Intent button was clicked instead of on completion. This meant that we had no idea when the action was completed, only when it was clicked. This obviously lead to a lot of users just clicking the actions and not completing them at all.
Over the past few months we've been working on a way to validate all Twitter activity to ensure users are completing actions properly.
This update should provide:
- Better backend data, you should see Tweet URL's for all users now
- Will reduce spam and users completing actions without doing the required entry methods
Unfortunately Private accounts will now be required to authenticate with Twitter to complete these actions (as we have no other way to verify them).
SoundCloud Listen Action
We've added a new action that allows you to get users to Listen to your tracks on SoundCloud. This works similar to YouTube in that they need to listen to the end for it to award the entry.
Major Capture Update
This is our first major update to Capture and now means that we'll be moving towards rolling release cycles for this app (similar to what happens with Competitions + Rewards).
If you have existing Captures you'll need to upgrade them to access the new Features. Existing Custom Captures will continue to work, but will need to be re-implemented using the new Templating system to take advantage of new features.
Moving Away From iFrames
The first iteration of Captures loaded each Capture in an iFrame, which for the most part worked well and also meant that there were less potential styling conflicts with the page. This new iteration now loads the Capture natively on your page, which allows more control over how fast they load, how smooth the transitions are, and most importantly.....styling.
Simplified HTML / CSS for Templates
We've simplified the HTML and CSS for all of our existing templates including making them all completely mobile friendly. Doing this will now allow us to easily roll out more templates or variations on a particular style of capture.
It will also allow you to easily make CSS changes to existing Captures (more on that below).
Template / Layout Categories
We've built a new Template and Layout structure so you can filter through which type of Capture you'd like to create. We have a huge range of new Capture types coming in our next update.
Improved Preview Pane
The Preview pane now shows you how your Capture looks at all widths (resize screen to play), along with a handy toggle to show how it looks on mobile devices.
You can also preview all states of your Capture: Before + After
Better Post Completion Controls
When a user completes your Capture you have more fine grained control over what happens. You can now:
- Change the Capture Image after completion (to show a coupon for example)
- Set the delay on how long the Capture remains on screen for
New CSS Rule Editor
Ever wanted to make a change to an existing template? Well now you can. Our CSS editor allows you to override or customise existing CSS elements in a Capture template to your hearts content.
We've rolled out a new improved version of Custom Captures that anyone using the BETA can use right away. This allows you to completely design your own Capture form along with CSS + HTML to use inside Gleam.
As an added bonus, Custom Captures are also embeddable!
Popups are fantastic, however inline content forms are also a huge way to convert users into valuable subscribers. You can now convert most Capture types to be embeddable, which means you can embed them inside your content, or sidebars or wherever you want - they will automatically expand to fit the div.
Keep an eye out for more embed specific templates coming real soon.
New Rule Groups
Rather than having one huge group of rules (like in the previous version), you can now chain groups of rules together via an OR statement. This allows you to give more purpose to a single Capture, for example:
- Show this Capture to Returning users OR Show this Capture to New users that have looked at 30 pages
We've added some new snazzy rules for you to play with in this update also.
Schedule: This category has some rules that allow you to schedule when Captures show to a user. This is great for day parting your campaigns, or even scheduling a campaign to start and stop at a specific time or date.
You can also schedule in your local timezone or in the users local timezone. Which means you could always show a Capture at 6pm to someone no matter where in the world they are.
Ad Blocker: This rule detects if the user is using an Ad Blocker and allows you to display a Capture (or not) accordingly.
32 Email Providers + Webhooks Supported
We now support over 30 emails providers to sync up your Captures: Active Campaign, AWeber, BenchmarkEmail, Bronto, Campaigner, Campaign Monitor, Constant Contact, ConvertKit. E-goi, Emma, ExactTarget, GetResponse, Highrise, Hubspot, iContact, Infusionsoft, Klaviyo, Mad Mimi, MailChimp, MailerLite, Mailjet, Marketo, Ontraport, Sailthru, Salesforce, Sendgrid, Sendinblue, Sendy, Silverpop, Unbounce, Vero + Zoho
New Repeat Action Limits On Plans
We want campaigns to be relevant and exciting for users to participate in, our aim has always been to help businesses to grow by running authentic campaigns that engage their audience.
Unfortunately we are seeing a lot of campaigns with many entry methods that are just abusing the Gleam platform for the purpose of gaining followers across multiple accounts, or requiring users to complete 50+ actions. We feel that this is unnatural and goes against the vision we have for Gleam in the long term and also is generally frowned upon by many of the API partners that we work with.
From today you will only able to add the same action type the following amount of times to a campaign:
- 2 on Free
- 5 on Pro
- 10 on Business
This means for example that you won't be able to add 5 Twitter Follows on the Free plan, or create 7 Custom actions on the Pro plan, or add 25 Twitch Follows on the Business plan.
This change will only affect newly created campaigns, existing campaigns will be allowed to run until their end date. If you need an exception to this rule you will need to submit a support ticket with a valid reason for us to approve.
Terms of Service Updates
We have also updated some aspects of our Terms of Service:
As far as your actual usage of the Services, you shall not (directly or indirectly):
- Ignore Gleam generated entries by picking an external winner - unless specifically mentioned in your T&C. For example running a Gleam campaign and picking winner via Retweets only, this defrauds users of their entries generated via Gleam.
- Continually extend the end date of a campaign without users agreeing to terms that allow it;
- Run a campaign that is purely designed to exchange followers (or other actions) and not for business purposes;
We've launched another integration with Benchmark Email.
We've launched another two new integrations with email providers.
This integration will replace EmailDirect (which has now been phased out).
New Disqus Action
We've added a new action for Disqus which allows you to ask users to comment on an article and we'll verify it for an entry.
This action is available on all plans until we release our new pricing.
Check it out:
SoundCloud Repost Action
We also added a new SoundCloud action which allows you to award entries or rewards to users that repost certain tracks on SoundCloud.
More Control for Subscribe + Steam Actions
This is a small update to improve the quality of data and reduce noise for campaign owners.
Subscribe actions will now prevent users who have a known bounced email address from completing that action. This means if users are using invalid emails they will be prevented from using this action.
Upcoming Changes to Instagram Actions
On November 17th, Instagram made changes to their API Policy to disallow direct incentivization of actions in 3rd party apps.
From 1st June the Instagram Follow action and Instagram Like action will no longer be available inside Gleam.
- Instagram Follow will be replaced with an Instagram Visit action
- If you have existing Follow actions in your campaign they will automatically be updated to Visit actions
- If you have existing Like actions in your campaign they will automatically be updated to View actions
Upcoming Changes to Pinterest Actions
We have recently been approved by Pinterest to directly use their API, this means we need to ensure our actions are compliant with their policies.
From 1st June the Pinterest Follow action, Pin Image and Pin from Board actions will no longer be available inside Gleam.
- Pinterest Follow will be replaced with a Pinterest Visit action
- Pinterest Pin actions will be removed, this option will be available via the Viral Share action now
- There will be 4 new actions introduced: Pinterest Entry, Visit on Pinterest, Select a Pin, Create a Board
Kickstarter + Indiegogo Actions
Have a play below:
Self Service Account Management
This has been a pain point for campaign entrants for a long time now, and this update is something we're extremely happy to push :)
You can now click the Edit button beside you name when logged into the widget to manage your: Name, Email + Social Connections
If you have multiple accounts, you may need to completely remove all links in order for them to merge. We do not merge accounts that have one of the same social login type. For example, if you have two accounts both with a Facebook login they won't merge together.
We just launched another range of actions for LinkedIn on the Business plan. This allows you to ask users to Follow you Company or Share a Post to your network.
We've just launched the first of a number of new integrations with YouTube. The first is our YouTube Comment action, which allows you to award entries to your Subscribers when they leave a comment on one of your videos.
We've just launched an integration with two highly requested email providers.
Updates To Rewards
For a long time Rewards have been completely free in terms of how many redeems you can make available. The rise in popularity of Rewards has forced us to make some decisions around limits, this is an interim step before we move to new unit cost pricing for Rewards.
As of today there will now be limits on the number of redeems per campaign on each plan level:
- Free: 100 Per Campaign
- Pro: 10k Per Campaign
- Business: 100k Per Campaign
If you need more than that you are urged to contact sales via the Support link in the sidebar.
We have also pushed some new features to allow you to limit the number of rewards individual users can redeem.
Post Entry Redirect For Competitions
Competitions has a shiny new feature to play with, you can now redirect users to a location of your choice after all actions have been completed.
Available on Pro plans upwards now.
New SoundCloud Submit Action
Today we launched a new SoundCloud action that allows users to submit tracks they have uploaded into a contest. This opens up the possibility to run Remix contests 🎛
This action is also fully compatible with our Gallery product so users can view and vote on SoundCloud uploads.
Viral Share Improvements
We've had a lot of customers asking for these improvements for a long time, so we're excited to finally bring them to you.
- We've added new sources for sharing: LinkedIn, Whatsapp and SMS
- Whatsapp and SMS only display on Mobile devices
- You can now edit the custom email template inside the Viral Share action
- You can also add a custom share image (which overrides the Prize image which is usually used)
- Viral Share now also auto expands if it's the last entry method remaining to be completed
Gleam campaigns now support the ability to ask users to Follow you on Snapchat or snap your Snapcode. This action is also built specifically to optimise the flow for Desktop vs Mobile.
The action will show a picture of your Snapcode and allow users to snap it from the screen before contuining.
On mobile the action will deep-link users into the Snapchat app getting them to auto follow you.
Enter With Actions
We're pleased to announce the release of a new set of actions - Enter With.
Enter With has a simple concept, it allows you to award entries into your campaigns when users Login with a specific type of social network.
This has quite a few benefits:
- It allows you to identify the user more easily
- Previously you would not get access to social profile data until a user had completed 1 action of a specific type from that Network. Enter actions do both.
One change in particular is that we're starting to introduce more two step actions. The Enter With Facebook action also allows you to optionally ask the user to Like a Page.
This particular action can be interchanged with Facebook Visit quite easily.
- It doesn't make sense to make users Visit your Facebook Page if the contest is already on Facebook or in a Facebook tab, the Enter action keeps users on the widget and improves conversion rates
We hope you like the new additions 😎